Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Book-a-Day 17: Future classic

New out this year – The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer.  Starting with book 1 - Annihilation.  This is the first book in a trilogy all to be published in 2014.

I am reading my way through book 2 (Authority), and am very confused and perplexed.  I have no idea what's going on, except that it's Very. Strange. Indeed.

Book 1 is set in Area X, where a team of unnamed professionals have been sent on an expedition to investigate.  It is a strange place that nature has reclaimed, and drastically affects anyone who dares to enter.  

Book 2 is set at the Southern Reach HQ, following the new Director, after the last one went into Area X and never came out.

It is a very dark series, and I have just seen on Wikipedia that it is a SciFi Horror.  I suppose that's why it makes me feel quite uncomfortable to read.  It's unsettling, yet compelling.  I really want to get to the bottom of things.

These books are so highly anticipated the film rights were apparently bought before the first in the series was even published.  So there you are, a future classic if ever there was!  I certainly hope so, I managed to order myself some signed first editions from Mr B's that I picked up at the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment