Thursday, August 22, 2013

What books are you taking on holiday?

For me the question of what books to take on holiday is harder than what clothes, or shoes to take.  Those are easy, I can be packed for a two week holiday in half an hour.  But I spend days thinking about what books to take.  There's a lot of thought goes into it, what books are on my kindle, what real books do I want to take, how much room/weight in my case is there?  How much reading time will I realistically get?  Would I consider leaving any behind at the end of the trip?  And the biggest question of all - what will I actually WANT to read?

The kindle definitely makes this easier, provided you have a good selection of books on there that you want to read!  We bought a holiday home on the south coast this summer, so I don't have to worry about the limitations of a case, I have a whole car boot to fill up!!

This is what I'll be taking for a two week trip:

The Selected Works of TS Spivet by Rief Larson  (borrowed from the Library)
Down the Rabbit Hole by Juan Pablo Villalobos  (Kindle)
Flashman by Gordon MacDonald Fraser  (Kindle)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - need to finish, leave behind
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - need to finish, leave behind
The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott - need to finish, leave behind
The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick  (Kindle)
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

I think that's a fairly good broad range of styles and themes, so there should be something to keep me interested.

In addition to this about half way through I have a day in Bath featuring a Bibliotherapy Spa session at Mr B's and an Author Event as well to see Juan Pablo Villalobos.  No doubt during this event I will be picking up about 15-20 new books.  Oh, I can't wait!!

What books are you taking?

No comments:

Post a Comment