Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #15

This week's Top Ten Theme is Books That Need Sequels.

It's all about those books that were complete stories in their own right but I'm not ready to let go and really want to spend more time in that world.  Or maybe the author didn't finish it the way I wanted, and another book would just tie up those loose ends properly.

I realised that I've been reading a fair amount of books from series lately, and it's hard to think back over the stand alone's.  I'm not sure I've really got my true favourites but here's the nine that first came to mind...

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.  I don't necessarily need to know what happened to Liesel after she left Himmel St, but I would dearly love to know who else has made Death take notice.

The Howling Miller by Arto Paasilinna.  I loved it, but I would have liked a little more or another book.  I just would dearly love to see the village accept Gunnar for the eccentric but harmless sweetie he is.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  Please please please give us the 'Director's Cut' edition and deal with the ending in a better way.  I'd also like a Prequel I think, or maybe a few of them!  I have so many questions!  How did North America become Panem... what happened in earlier Games, especially the first games... The rebellion of District 13,  so many ways this world could be expanded.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer.  Well?  What happened next?  What's the story with the other rebels?  How did Wanderers species arrive on the planet and take it over?

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, I think this one will have made a few lists.  I'd like to see Scout grown up and working as a human rights lawyer, what cases she works on etc... Atticus as an old man giving sage words of advice as always.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  What happened to Lizzie and Darcy after they were married?  Georgiana, Jane and Bingley, Even Lizzie's other sisters?  Did Lady Catherine De Bourgh get over herself yet?  Did Charlotte in fact totally lose control and bash Mr Collins' head in with a garden spade?  These are the kinds of thing I want to know.

Nightfall by Isaac Asmiov and Robert Silverberg.  How did the planet and the surviving Kalgashians recover?  Were they able to learn anything at all from the experience?  What about next time?  Is there already a sequel?  Dean McLaughlin's novel 'Dawn' is apparently a more optimistic version of Nightfall... maybe I'll line that up to read sometime.

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch.  Admittedly I've cheated the list a little here, as this is the second in the Gentlemen Bastards series, it just needs the promised sequel (The Republic of Thieves) not to slip it's publication date!  Currently scheduled for October this year.  Can't Wait!!

The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway.  Again a bit of a cheat.  I confess I'm a time travel junkie, and another book is apparently on it's way.  Phew!

The small print:  The Top Ten Tuesday meme originates at The Broke and The Bookish, check out their site for more information.

2 comments:

  1. Good list, I loved The Host and The Book Thief and I really loved that your idea for a sequel for The Book Thief are about who else caught death's notice and not Liesel whose story I think was pretty much all told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First top 10 list I've ever seen with Nightfall! Awesome! And I definitely second To Kill A Mockingbird. It's one of my all-time favorites, and I would love to know how Scout's experiences shaped her later years. Thanks for stopping by The Gnoming Librarian!

    ReplyDelete