Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Book Review: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book
Publisher:  Harper Collins
ISBN: 0060530928
Illustrations by Dave McKean (Adult Edition)

Website:  http://www.thegraveyardbook.co.uk/

I saw this in a book-haul on a post on Fennell Books the other day and though I don't yet own every Neil Gaiman book I could not believe I missed this one, it's right up my street!  So the next time I passed a bookshop I headed in and they had one last copy left.  My copy.

Short Synopsis:  A toddler escapes from his home while the rest of his family are murdered, and ends up in a graveyard. The ghosts of the graveyard take him in and raise him.  He has no name, no family, and he's a nobody.  So that's what they call him - Nobody, or Bod for short.  This is the story of Bod's life in the graveyard, a coming of age story, with that brilliant Gaiman supernatural twist.

Though written for a teen audience I think young-at-heart adults will thoroughly enjoy this one too.  It's delightfully grim, and for younger readers it would be pretty scary.  Night gaunts, Ghouls and Ghoul-gates, witches, ghosts, werewolves, and Silas.  FAB!

What I liked most:  Everything.  It's charming and entertaining, there are moments of genuine threat and you don't know how it will turn out exactly.

What I liked least:  I've just checked and it said 312 pages for this edition.  Maybe it's because it contains a fair few illustrations that take up a few pages, or that the font size is quite large, but it really didn't feel like a 300+ page book.  I wanted it to be longer, and I now wish I hadn't read it so quickly.

Favourite Quotes: 

“ 'Name the different kinds of people,’ said Miss Lupescu. ‘Now.’
Bod thought for a moment. ‘The living,’ he said. ‘Er. The dead.’ He stopped. Then, ‘... Cats?’ he offered, uncertainly.”

" 'I want to see life. I want to hold it in my hands. I want to leave a footprint on the sand of a desert island. I want to play football with people. I want,' he said, and then he paused and he thought. 'I want everything.' ”

No comments:

Post a Comment