Friday, February 8, 2013

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Publisher: Gollancz
£FREE  (Christmas Present)
ISBN 0575079673

What can I say? Scott Lynch is fast becoming a favourite author.

This is the second instalment of the Gentlemen Bastards sequence, and our favourite anti-heroes are yet again embroiled in an increasingly convoluted series of misadventures. This time they get to be pirates, and while the novelty of Locke's world has worn off a little and Tal Verrar is not so interesting a place Camorr, it is just as entertaining. There's plenty of laughs, and lots of action to be had.

If I gave Lies 5 stars, then this would get 4 and a half. The difference being that you never really feared for Locke and Jean's lives like you did in Lies. In Lies I felt that truly anything could happen, but in this instalment I felt that Locke and Jean would probably survive together. I was intrigued by the teaser of Jean turning on Locke, and I spent most of the novel thinking about how what I was reading at that point in time might lead to that situation.

There is a prequel or two due for release, as well as Book 3, and I am eager to get my hands on them. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment